Wednesday, June 8, 2011

CD Hovercraft

We made a CD Hovercraft which was quite fun! I've seen these all over the web and we just had to try it! 
All you need to make one is:
 CD
permanent markers (optional)
 flip top from dish soap or a water bottle
glue gun
balloon 


First we decorated the CD with permanent markers. Cassie really enjoyed this! Using sharpie markers is always a special treat!


Close up of her design.


Here is my design and Cassie's. A good lesson on radial symmetry or mandala art!


After designing the CD's, I used a glue gun to put some glue on the center to attach the flip top.


This is not the best picture but you can see the flip top is attached to the middle. After attaching, (quick drying with a glue gun!) make sure the flip top is pushed down so no air is released when you first put the balloon on!


Attach the balloon and your almost ready to make the hovercraft go!


Open up the flip top and push it along a bit and it will fly across a smooth surface....COOL!!! Make sure your balloon has a smaller neck or too much air will escape. We tried it with a larger balloon and we needed to put a rubber band around the neck! Here is Cassie watching it go!


It doesn't go as fast as you might expect, but it still was FUN and a GREAT science experiment on how a hovercraft works (propelled by air). Here is Cassie blowing it to make it move along faster! We had fun designing the CD and playing with the completed hovercraft!


HAVE FUN!
(we sure did!)

Check out more fun with CD's:

CD Spinners from Irresistible Ideas for play based learning.
CD Garden Art from Irresistible Ideas for play based learning.
Video of a CD Hovercraft on YouTube to see instructions and one in action!

10 comments:

  1. Ooo I haven't seen this idea before! Very cool and great experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MY WORD! How cooooool is this!?!?!? I ADORE it. We HAVE to make one. Now!

    Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!!! Always a pleasure to have you stop by!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a hovercraft a friend of mine made in high school out of a leaf blower. This looks like a ton of fun. I'm going to have to try it with my little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool !! Must have been very exciting to see it fly:)) I'm going to try this one with putti.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boys have done these at school/camp before. They are really cool and simple to make. Yet another chance to combine hands on creativity and science. And they have something inexpensive to play with for the afternoon. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like heaps of fun! My little man would love it. All I need now is a glue gun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. Cleaned out my old collection of computer CDs and have 100s stored waiting for a use. Will work on this one. Thanks for posting it.
    Ross Mannell
    Australian Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an awesome idea- and to bring the art of mandalas into it would be awesome! Thank you so much for linking this up on The Sunday Showcase- CLassified: Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun is that?!

    I run Fun Family Crafts, a library of craft tutorials geared at kids of all ages. I would love it if you'd stop by and submit this to be featured! (I link to you, I don't post your tutorial on the site) Feel free to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like! http://funfamilycrafts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does look like a lot of fun, I've seen a few of these on the internet but never got round to making one!

    ReplyDelete