Monday, April 25, 2011

DIY Crushed Chalk Paint

This has been one of our favorites for the past couple years! We've made the cornstarch recipe, but I was never satisfied with the brightness of the paint.  I think my daughter and I just like the process of making this chalk paint!  Cassie just Loves chalk paint and it is such a nice variation to using chalk sticks!


First you need some chalk, a plastic bag, and a hammer or mallet.  We can get chalk fairly cheap at discount stores, so I don't feel bad chopping it up! ***You could also use worn down pieces from your collection if you don't want to use brand new pieces!


Next, put about 2 pieces of chalk in a plastic bag, twist the bag shut and start crushing the chalk.  Be careful of your fingers!! I did some and let Cassie try it too.  It was very empowering for her to use the hammer and help!


After crushing the chalk you may want to check to see if you need to hammer more...we needed to a bit more to get some of the larger pieces.


Place your crushed chalk carefully in a container and then add about a cup or so of water. Mix with a stick or paint brush and now you have instant chalk paint! You can always add more water as you are painting if the water dissolves quickly.


Here is Cassie painting away! What fun! She started right away! As you can see we made 3 colors which makes it much more exciting!


We had a lot of fun! We made flowers, people, splatter paint, spirals, and even mixed our pink and blue to make purple!


This is my favorite chalk painting: Cassie and Mom


Mom had fun making this fireworks explosion!


Our array of work again:


DIY Crushed Chalk Paint has become a tradition we have done since Cassie was 2 1/2! I have a feeling it will continue from year to year!

21 comments:

  1. I can't believe how warm it is there! Thanks for sharing your super easy recipe. We'll have to try this right away. We try to always leave a bag or bowl of sidewalk chalk by the curb for our neighborhood friends to play with. And we're often surprised by the fun drawings and messages that they leave us! It's interactive art, kid-style :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic as always! I cannot wait to try this (hopefully it will warm up here soon...slowly but surely MI lol). My kids love the sidewalk chalk this will be a great new twist. I love how vivid the drawings showed up on the concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so neat - following you now! :-) Thanks!!! Feel free to check us out at:

    http://helpfuldaddy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny - I just saw the DIY chalk paint on another blog I read. This is definitely for my summer bucket! Our favorite outside activity lately is simple - blowing and catching bubbles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nephew would love the hammering part for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic idea! Colors look so bright. I will have to try this before it gets HOT here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and I am having a great time exploring all your great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa,
    This is something I'm going to try very soon, such a great idea!
    Nice for Cassie to use the hammer, as well.
    Looks like a warm, happy day!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. i LOVE it! no more crayola sidewalk paint for us! will let you know when we try it and give you a linky. great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had a blast doing this today! Thanks for your posting your idea. My kids had the more fun painting themselves, than the sidewalk. :) A good old "outdoor bath" helped us clean up fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This we will have to try. I'm guessing the part with the hammer will be a big hit :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. childhood memory: paintng side of house and sidewalks with water and watching the magic of it disappearing from the warmth of the sun! my kids now: nature collages and water play!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE IT!!!!! I pinned this to my board at http://pinterest.com/pin/17599068/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. That is such a great idea and I've never seen anything like it. thanks so much for linking up with Fun for Kids Friday!

    Heather @ www.localfunforkids.com & www.PreschoolBuddy.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh! I bet someone enjoyed using that hammer!!!! Brilliant!

    And have voted for you on Babble!

    Thanks again for linking up!

    Maggy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fantastic! We will be most defenitly being doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love tje idea and especially Cassie and Mom painting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - creative, messy and you get to use a hammer? That's my girls' idea of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We loved doing this! Thanks for sharing!
    http://ladeladeda.blogspot.com/2011/07/crushed-chalk-sidewalk-paint.html

    ReplyDelete