Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Quick And Easy Recycled Water Bottle Flower Sun Catchers

I have a couple versions of these bottle flowers and we did the easier of the two. This is a great recycled project using those plastic water bottles that everyone has or can find anywhere! You could use a soda or any plastic bottle! Be sure to check out my tissue paper version here!


First you need to cut the bottle's top off and save both pieces! (I did this part)


Then cut into the ends of the pieces to create petals. An older child could do this, but you may want to do this for your preschool age child!  Cassie could cut a little herself!


This is the top of the bottle.  It looks to be a different piece from the original picture---but you get the idea? I think I cut this bottle directly in half.


Now all you need is some newspaper to protect the table and some permanent markers.  You may not think permanent markers and children mix, but I just keep a watchful eye over Cassie and she is fine!  She knows she is using Mommy's special art supplies----which is very exciting to her!


Cassie did an awesome job coloring her recycled bottle flower!  I was very impressed! Just punch a hole in one of the petals and attach some yarn and you have a simple easy fun flower sun catcher!



We will be working on another version of this to post in the future!  My variation with colorful tissue paper can be found here! Enjoy!  Check out more recycled projects here! Do you have any ideas for projects with recycled water bottles? Check out Tinkerlab's Plastic Bottle Challenge here!
Happy Earth Day!


***It sure would be nice to be in the Top 50 on Babble! Click here and give me a vote!

This post is  linked to:
WE PLAY
KIDS GET CRAFTY
IT"S PLAYTIME
FOR THE KIDS FRIDAY
FUN FOR KIDS FRIDAY
PRESCHOOL CORNER
CRAFT SCHOOLING SUNDAY
MADE BY LITTLE HANDS MONDAY
SHOW AND TELL

18 comments:

  1. Very fun! They are beautiful. At first I thought you had drawn on the window. I love how bright they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great and very creative! Never woulda thought to do that. I'm sharing on FB :)

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving all these projects reusing materials. My 'to do when J is older' list is getting longer and longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look beautiful !!! Love the colors, i first thought u had painted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! Will be doing this with my daycare kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, These are gorgeous!
    I'll be sure and make these with my children, as I like to use recycled pop bottles for art. These surely would be beautiful to hang as they reflect light, and are pretty to look at.
    Thanks for this idea.
    Brenda
    P.S. I of course will vote for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa,
    Thanks for popping over today and your comments. Really these suncatchers are great. I would never have thought of doing this myself, such a good idea. They look really lovely outside in the sun!
    Cassie must have loved doing this, and enjoyed the result of her work as well!
    You have such great ideas!
    Happy Earth Week! :)
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh I have JUST bought a set of coloured markers!!! And this is a lovely lovely craft and looks so pretty! Great recycling!

    Thank you for stopping by at Kids Get Crafty!!!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!!very nice way to use recyclable things. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic idea! I'll definitely try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project!

    Jo @ SmileMonsters

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your newest follower. I just shared the link to your blog and this project over at the Zoo. Stop in and check it out. We loved this one!

    http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com/2011/04/water-play-construction-area-more-fun.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to let you know I featured this on my blog today! Thanks again for linking up with Fun for Kids Friday www.localfunforkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a creative idea, they certainly create a great flower shape. Very, very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This lesson made the Weekly Top Twenty best art lessons over at The Art Fairy.
    http://msjuliesartschool.blogspot.com/
    Come by and pick up your button if you get a chance. Great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The recycling of plastics and the water and all other resources is very essential.And the right age is to start learning at this tender age so that they are much aware by the time they are adults.

    ReplyDelete