Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Paint Chip Art Collage

We've been creating some projects with paint chips.  It was quite a fun experience just picking out paint chips at Home Depot with my daughter----she had such a fun time! Cassie couldn't believe that they were free! What a visually stimulating experience! Our first project we created was a Paint Chip Collage.


Simple and easy project. First gather some paint chips at any painting or home improvement store. I think this was a great experience in itself and everyone should do this soon! (without having to do a home painting project) These paint chips take on a whole new meaning when you can just  pick them because you like the color!


Then we just cut the paint chips into strips and different shapes!


Next,  we started to glue down shapes.  This can be a little tricky because the thick paper that the chips are printed on are thick and tend to roll up.  I encouraged my daughter to hold the pieces down and count  to ten.


More gluing! What fun colors to work with! This is a good project for teaching overlapping.  Cassie got the idea! "Mom,  Look I'm overlapping!!"


Here are our finished paint chip collages:


Vibrant color!!!


Since Easter is around the corner we decided to cut one of our collages to look like an Easter egg!


We have more paint chip projects coming up in future posts!!!!

20 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Love the colour, the free-art nature of your activity and that you were able to teach art concepts through it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the bright colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! Will be trying it with my little one as well as saving this idea for my pre-k class! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love how bright this is! LOVE it :) I like you you made it an egg too. Very pretty!

    Great idea using the paint chips - and could incorporate scissors practice too!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! More great paint chip ideas to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa,
    Beautiful collages!
    The vivid colours are springlike aren't they!
    What a great idea to use these paint chips - and really all the hues and tones available make for some interesting combinations. It would be interesting to see what Cassie might do with "earth" tones, or "greys" for a rainy day.

    Just to let you know for the last 2 days my children worked on your potato print birds, we had a lot of fun, and as they are younger then Cassie - the pictures are abit more "abstract", but it was fun. I hope to post some pictures in a couple of weeks and will have these, I'll let you know when I get them posted.

    All the best!
    Brenda :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So vibrant and perfect for spring. Such beautiful collages to display.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! I've got tons of these from our renovation for Little Man to use!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paint chips are so inspiring they just make you want to come up with ways of using them. I love your Easter Egg, and am looking forward to seeing what else you come up with. I've already started collecting the chips - but then I didn't really need an excuse for that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love all these ideas using colour paint cards (that's what they are called in the UK). Thanks for linking this idea & do pop in next week to the Resource Centre!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love paint chip crafts and this one is just fantastic. Thanks for sharing! I pinned this to my wall at http://pinterest.com/pin/12626716/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I am going to have to go out tomorrow and get some paint chips!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic idea and so colourful! I have so many paint cards left over after our rennovations, but they are not as bright and colourful as your selection. They will definitely be going into our crafting box for future crafting fun. Thanks for sharing such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how lovely! So colourful and cheerful and bright! Perfect for Easter and a lovely way to reuse paint chips!

    Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  15. So vibrant! Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love using paint chips...

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice! Hope to see you back this week...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The stained glass effect on the egg is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is great too! I love the egg :)

    Thanks for sharing this at For the Kids Friday at SunScholars.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Melissa! Love how it turned out! :)

    Featuring it in this week's High paw since I've decided to go with Easter theme! :) Hope to see you stop by this week! Starting Monday we're celebrating Beary Birthday party with loads of giveaways and free stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just adapted this to my classroom and have had to make SEVERAL trips to the Home Depot for more! Thanks for the inspiration!!!!
    http://ourartlately.blogspot.com/2011/04/tint-and-shade-collage.html

    ReplyDelete