Monday, March 28, 2011

Tissue Paper Mache Easter Egg Sculptures

Last week we were working on paper mache Easter eggs using torn tissue paper, glue mixed with water, and balloons. We experimented with larger balloons and water balloons that were left over from last Summer. The large balloons are great for a hanging decoration, but seem way to big for an Easter basket.  The water balloon size could be used for a hanging decoration and for a basket. Here are the large ones:


Cassie helped with the first layer or so, but got bored with the process so I ended up finishing these larger balloons.  If you were going to do this with a preschooler,  I'd recommend using the water balloon size to keep their interest! Some preschoolers may be fine with the larger ballon too.  To start this project, I tore some tissue paper:


I set the ballon in an old container while working on it so it wouldn't roll around.  For the water balloon, we used a small plastic cup.  We used two parts glue to one part water for the the mixture to put the tissue paper on the balloons.


Make sure to get off the excess glue mixture before applying it on the balloon. Cassie was not a big fan of the sticky glue mixture, so I gave her a wet paper towel to keep wiping her hands. Also, do not use bleeding tissue or your balloon or it will look muddy in color. I mention this because a few bleeding tissue pieces got mixed in with the non-bleeding kind.


Do a layer,  let dry,  and repeat this process for at least 2-3 layers.  When they are dry,  you can pop the balloon---Cassie really loved this part!  They may be a little flimsy in some areas, but once the ballon is popped ---I found you could blow air back in to them. Kind of cool! The water balloon eggs were not as flimsy.


Cassie did have fun with the process and was curious about these drying balloons in our kitchen each day! Boy, was our kitchen  an artist's workshop! I envisioned these Paper Mache Eggs to be transparent, with light sparkling through them, but they still turned out beautiful! You could use X-mas lights to put in them,  but I haven't gotten that far! Here are our water balloon size easter eggs:


I want to make more of these water balloon sized eggs.  They are a much better size for a preschooler too! They look beautiful hanging  too! Here are our large eggs again: (Notice there is glitter thrown in too!)


I was looking in the book: Scribble Art by MaryAnn Kohl and noticed the idea of making a starched yarn balloon shape (String Thing) and adding tissue paper over that.....maybe we'll try that too!  That may give us me more of the transparent effect that I was looking for because less layers of tissue paper would be needed!  Check out this site for Mary Ann Kohl books and free activity ideas: http://www.brightring.com/index.html


This post is linked to:


CRAFT SCHOOLING SUNDAY
MADE BY YOU MONDAY
MADE BY LITTLE HANDS MONDAY
NO TIME FOR FLASHCARDS
SHOW AND TELL
SHARING MONDAY
RUNNING WITH GLITTER
FUN FOR THE KIDS FRIDAY
AN ARTY CRAFTY PARTY
PRESCHOOL CORNER
CREATIVE JUICE THURSDAY
STRUT YOUR STUFF THURSDAY
UNDER 100.00
HOOKING UP WITH HoH
WE PLAY
THE PLAY ACADEMY

19 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!! All of your projects are so bright and cheerful. We are making a paper mache Easter scene at the moment but maybe we could branch out and do some of these too. SO much more satisfying than the fiddly little easter eggs to decorate (especially for a 2.5 year old!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I'm so NOT on your blog list in the sidebar! Sob :-( Lol! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous! One of my favorite cafes in Los Angeles has papier mache eggs hanging from their ceiling. I have no idea why, but they look so cool and your post totally transported me! I've been thinking about doing some papier mache with my daughter, but I'm not sure if it'll sustain her interest (she'll be 3 in June). What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments! @ The Imagination Tree...now you are!
    @ Rachelle: I love paper mache and that cafe does sound really beautiful!
    I think it would be fine to involve your daughter in the process of paper mache. I think just like cooking, we involve our children in some steps---not all----just watching is valuable too! If she wants to participate that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Totally stealing it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa,
    These papier mache eggs are lovely!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty!!! Looks like she had loads of fun with this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! May need to give it a try!

    I like how you used the leftover containers to steady the balloon. I often struggle with what to place items on to make it easier for E. I definitely think I will try that!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful! I like how you've broken it up into easy steps. I think I can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea and recommendation about the water balloons! They came out so beautiful! I know my kids will enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how colorful these are. What a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are just lovely! I always cringe when I hear paper mache, but this post has inspired me to give it a chance. They would look beautiful hanging in our window!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've made our own version! Not as pretty as yours but we loved doing it. Here is the link http://www.theimaginationtree.com/2011/04/paper-mache-easter-egg.html Thanks for the inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was thinking of a project like this the other day. What a fun project, and beautiful results!! I love it!

    Thanks for linking this project up with For the Kids Fridays! I appreciate you stopping by, and hope to have you back for this week's party! I'll be posting it later tonight.

    :)rachel at SunScholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these - and agree there's always the opportunity to sprinkle in some glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these...glitter makes everything so much better...

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice! Hope to see you back this week

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for such wonderful inspirational activities, I will back, Hermin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for this blog item, I've been searching the web for cane and tissue carnival animals but I reckon I could start this way, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete