Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Modeling Clay Stamped Flowers

Today we made our own stamp to print flowers.  Cassie created this simple printed project with modeling clay,  a toothpick,  tempera paint, and markers.  You could also used play dough, but just make sure it is not too squishy and that your little ones don't press too hard so that the stamp gets out of shape! I did try it with play dough and it works!!!!


First we rolled some modeling clay into a ball and flattened it out like a pancake.  Cassie wanted to play with the clay,  but I explained to her that she was going to make a stamp.  It is VERY difficult to convince a child that they cannot play with clay!!!!!!


After flattening the clay, Cassie used a toothpick to draw a simple flower design in the clay. A little challenging at first, but she got the idea once I showed her one I did.


Carved stamp:


Then you'll need some tempera paint on a sponge to make a stamp pad.  You could also paint the stamp or just put some paint on a dish or recycled lid. You'll need your carved stamp too.  The one pictured here has already been used!!


Then Cassie went ahead and began printing her stamp. You have to press down a bit so that all of the flower will print.  My daughter printed the stamp twice each time before using more paint.


More printing to fill up the page and pressing down!


We let it dry for a few minutes and then Cassie used a green marker to add stems and leaves.  Cassie has drawn lots of flowers so she knew to add leaves without me telling her.


Here is my daughter's finished work again. Very nice!  She said she was done.  Lots of short activities lately for this busy girl! There is a whimsical feel to this and I LOVE IT!


This post is linked up to:

KIDS GET CRAFTY
WE PLAY
FUN FOR KIDS FRIDAY
CHILDMADE
FOR THE KIDS FRIDAY
THE PLAY ACADEMY
MONKEYING AROUND
HIGH PAW
AN ARTY CRAFTY PARTY
RESOURCE CENTRE
CRAFT SCHOOLING SUNDAY
NO TIME FOR FLASHCARDS
PRESCHOOL CORNER
MADE BY YOU MONDAY
MADE BY LITTLE HANDS MONDAY
A MARVELOUS MESS
SHOW AND TELL
IT'S PLAYTIME
STRUT YOUR STUFF THURSDAY

22 comments:

  1. Such a great idea - you could really have fun with all sorts of shapes and designs with this. Would playdough work too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deborah! I did try it with play dough and it does work! Make sure it is not too squishy and that you don't press to hard or the stamp will lose shape!! Thanks for the feedback----I added the information above!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my these are BEAUTIFUL! Didn't she do well with the stems and leaves too! Brilliant!

    Thank you so much for linking to Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful is that!!! Love her leaves too.. Thanks for sharing such a great idea:)

    Roopa

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, you had me at "chocolate muffin tree!"
    i so love that, so adorable! if that tree grows, let me know because i think the world would be much happier if chocolate chip cookies grew on trees!
    your daughter is adorable!
    so happy to "found" you today!
    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stamping projects where you make your own stamp -- now that's the best kind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is too cool! I love the process and the way the completed picture looks.

    thanks for sharing our shaving cream eggs on your fb too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another fantastic idea! I think my little Kirsten would adore this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that`s wonderful! Kids love printing (and so do I, it`s such a relaxing activity :) ). And it`s a good opportunity to use up old playdough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa, I have moved your posts in this week's High paw linky. I opened it this morning. Guess you missed it. ;) Anyhow, just wanted to let you know....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how you made a stamp with clay! Neat idea! Love the end product!

    I am having a giveaway on my blog. $20 store credit from My Carrie Creations to get a backpack with your kids fav character ( fancy Nancy, princessses, ballerina and more). Check it out.
    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/03/20-store-credit-from-my-carrie.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had such fun trawling this brill blog! I found you via RedTedArt who thought you might like to link over at the Resource Centre which is a space for ideas for teachers. Some of these ideas would be great for them! I do hope you'll pop over! http://bit.ly/dLwwDC

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great way to make simple stamps :)

    Thanks for sharing at We Play this week x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea - we've never tried using clay in this way. Thanks for linking up with the Play Academy- lovely to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. fun stuff love the stamps! need to get some modeling clay now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this idea. I might just borrow this for the craft time I host for kiddos at my library. Thanks so much!! I would love it if you would share this at my Marvelous Mess party....each week I pick one project to feature on my sidebar!! Here is the link: http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/04/marvelous-mess-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! I'm borrowing this idea for my Daisy Scout troop! (I found you through the crafty crow!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous idea!! I would never have thought to try something like that. Awesome!!

    Thanks for linking this project up with For the Kids Fridays!

    :)rachel at SunScholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how her flowers came out! We will have to try this and see if we can do it with other shapes too! Thanks for linking up to It's Playtime!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow this looks like great fun, muust try this soon!

    ReplyDelete