Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Hat Like The Cat In The Hat!

I told Cassie that today we were going to make a Dr. Seuss hat.  I told her who Dr. Seuss was and that he wrote all the books with "the cat in the hat" on it!  Soon after this, she went to grab all of our Dr. Seuss books and wanted me to read them all to her!!!  We definitely had a Dr. Seuss filled day! Here is the hat we made----it could be a sculpture too:

First, we used two 12"x18" white papers taped together on the 18" sides (or use a 24"x36" paper).



We cut a bunch of 1 inch by 36 inch strips of colored paper for the stripes of the hat.


We glued the stripes using tiny dots of white glue across the colored papers.


I helped to pick the long stripe of paper up and turn it over onto the large white paper.  Too hard for a preschooler! You could create a pattern or multi-colors.


Next, to make the hat "extra fancy" we painted between the stripes with shape and line details!



My daughter decided to paint on the stripes too and I think that looks great too!  BEAUTIFUL WORK!
Now, to let it dry for a few hours!


Before fitting it to wear----fringe one longer side about three inches in or so! Fold up the fringe for the brim of the hat.


I carefully shaped the fringed end around my daughter's head, took it off then stapled it! (kinda tricky to get the right fit at first!) Then, I stapled the top and then it was ready to wear or display!

One Happy Girl!!!!
Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!
Our Dr. Seuss books!


This post is linked to:

23 comments:

  1. Whata FABULOUS hat and isn't your little girl simply adorable! Love the craft! Love the result!

    Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hat idea as well as hat bright colors.
    By the way you can also check out my Handprint butterfly - http://blog.memetales.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This hat turned out so pretty! I love her big smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the compliments! She is very photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This hat is such fun! I love the picture of your daughter wearing it.

    Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is incredible. I absolutely love it. We too had a Dr. Seuss filled day yesterday. I'll be posting all our fun activities on his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @JDaniel4's Mom Thanks! Your Welcome!

    @Jill Thanks so much! Looking forward to see your Dr. Seuss post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea for Dr. Seuss's birthday - simple, cute, and creative! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow (also in the Living Montessori Now Community)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Deb! I appreciate the compliments and thanks for featuring me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun looking hat!! I wish I had one just like it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey---thanks a lot!!! Thanks for stopping by! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for joining my Linky Party! I love this project!

    www.learningwithmrsparker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty - this hat turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ S. Parker your welcome! Glad you enjoyed the project!

    @ Happy Child Thanks!! and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of the most colorful hats I have seen so far:) Thanks for sharing a link to your post on my linky today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We just had to make it more than just red and white! Your welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! Thanks so much for sharing all your wonderful projects on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love, love, love, LOVE this idea I'll be doing this with my three girls tomorrow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful post, the hat is amazing!

    ReplyDelete