Thursday, January 5, 2012

An Experiment in Making Snow!

I often think about my readers that don't get snow,  so I thought they would appreciate a post on making snow!  We haven't really gotten much snow here in NE Ohio until recently and I can't imagine never really experiencing snow.  We had fun comparing our real snow to our homemade snow.  To create some snow all you need is a blender and some ice cubes!


First, pop about 16 ice cubes in your blender.


Then blend until you have ice that has turned to snow.  Make sure your blender is strong enough to grind ice! Here is our Instant SNOW!!!


C was AMAZED that we made snow!  We ran outside and grabbed some REAL snow and I told her to make some observations.  Can you guess which one is the real snow????  Pretty convincing???


C noticed the REAL SNOW was colder,  softer, and didn't taste as good!!!


C observed the HOMEMADE SNOW was warmer,  harder, and tasted better!!!  Both snows could form into snowballs when warmer.  Both melted....the homemade snow melted faster!


C had a great time with this experiment and I'm sure she will ask to do it again!!!

Check out this link from Weather Wiz Kids to find out all kinds of FACTS about SNOW,  like How is Snow Formed,  How do Blizzards Form, What are Snowflakes, Why is Snow white,  and more.....

If you don't want your snow to melt try some Insta-Snow and you just add water!

Also, check out this GREAT post At TinkerLab:  Making Fake Snow for some tips about Insta-Snow!!  

Which Snow do you think is the REAL SNOW in the photo with the two bowls of SNOW??? (the left or right bowl)

This post is shared with: It's Playtime, The Play Acdaemy, Link and Learn

14 comments:

  1. Cool! I'll have to remember this when we move to Hawaii next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. I'll be doing this with my kids this year , since we don't have snow down here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome, i shared your link with all my friends in FL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant, we don't usually get much snow where we live so have been thinking what we could do in instead, thanks for sharing your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea!!! visiting from the link on You'll Thank Me One Day's Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant idea - I guess I will find out whether my blender can cope with ice cubes when I try it (I want a new one anyhow the whisk broke)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I can see that this is going to be hugely popular here, but I can envision daughter asking to make enough for a snowman :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhh I hope I don't break the blender!!! We live in sunny Southern California. This week we are in shorts and flip flops. I think M and M could use a little pretend snow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a cool experiment, melissa! i love it, and we'd definitely try it if we had snow here. oh well, i guess we'll have to try the blender project sans snow comparison. and maybe add some maple syrup to it...my 3 year old has a thing for maple syrup on snow. mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow I wish my snow were that white, I'll guess left only because it never stays in a from unless it's very sticky, could go either way, you're both that good...lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to try this! I found your link via Pintrest and I am your new follower! :) I had all kinds of snow idea planned out for my girls, but in NW Ohio we still havent gotten any real snow either (a dusting doesnt count!). Maybe this will help tie them over!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i will say the snow on the left is the real snow.... but its hard to make a choice lol. Will be pinning this activity! my boys love snow and we are waiting for some to come. last year we were snowed in but nothing yet.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Use a snowcone maker . Kids can turn the handle to burn off some wiggles plus save your blender.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! We have been definitely been missing the snow since moving to Tampa - can't wait to try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete